Grilled Ancho Halibut with Cilantro Pesto
- 2 lbs. halibut filets cut into portion-sized pieces
- 1 lime
- 1/8 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon ancho chili powder
- 1 teaspoon light brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 bunch fresh cilantro leaves
- ¼ lime, juiced
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 1 jalapeno, chopped with seeds included
- 1 tablespoon grated pecorino romano cheese
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 8 toasted almonds
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Place oil, nuts, garlic and cheese in a food processor. Pulse a few times to puree. Then add everything else and pulse to chop and mix. Makes about 1 cup of pesto.
- One hour before grilling, squeeze lime and pour oil on fish. Then sprinkle and pat rub on the fish.
- Add a few soaked mesquite wood chips to your coals. Then oil the grill grate with canola oil. Cook fish for 1 to 2 minutes on one side to get nice grill marks.
- Cook the second side of the fish on a cooler spot on the grill over indirect heat. Let cook for 6 to 10 minutes with the lid on, depending on how thick the fish is.
- Drizzle the cilantro pesto over the cooked fish and serve.