Charpie and I have been grilling pizza for a long time now, and I think that we have come up with a few ways to make it really easy and delicious.
The first key is the crust. Pizza crust is really simple to make, and when fresh it tastes the best, but there is no need to kill yourself. We often buy our dough pre-made from a local bakery (super cheap), or the readymade crust from the grocery store will suffice.
Next are the toppings. When you’re grilling a pizza you don’t want to overload it with toppings, and you can’t expect to get raw ingredients cooked in that short of a time. Cook all raw topping on the grill first, and then top your pizza.
Sauce can be overdone when grilling a pizza, but all different types of sauce work well. Simple olive oil, BBQ sauce, tomato sauce or buffalo sauce work great.
Because a grill isn’t able to retain heat like a pizza oven it is easiest to lightly grill your crust on one side before adding the toppings. I like to use a med-low heat, cook one side for a min. or so, flip or remove the crust, top the pizza on the partially cooked side, then return the pizza to the grill to finish cooking.
Here is my super simple recipe for Buffalo Chicken Pizza:
- Two skinless boneless chicken breasts (lightly seasoned)
- Pizza dough (homemade or pre-bought)
- 1 bottle of Frank’s Red Hot – hot sauce
- 2 Cloves garic
- 2 T. Butter
- 1 Container of gorgonzola cheese crumbles
- ½ Cup of green onion
I like to serve these as individual mini pizzas because they cook more evenly, and it makes them much easier to handle on the grill.
- First grill the chicken breast over high heat until juices run clear and you have good grill marks. Remove from the heat and let rest while you prepare the sauce.
- Heat the hot sauce in a small sauce pan, mince and add the garlic. Simmer the sauce for a few minutes, and finish it by melting in the butter.
- Slice the chicken breast into bite size pieces and toss with buffalo sauce.
- Shape the pizza dough into 6” rounds, brush with olive oil, and grill one side until lightly brown.
- Flip the crust, add the buffalo coated chicken to the crust, and top with gorgonzola crumbles. Cook on a covered grill until the bottom of the crust is brown and the cheese is softened.
- Garnish with sliced green onion and serve while hot.
- Next crack open a cold American lager and enjoy!