Hot Topic: Beef Skirt Steak 101
What is it?
- Skirt Steak: A beef cut that comes from the flank/plate portion of a beef carcass
- The Skirt is long, narrow, and thin with very visible muscle bundles (meaning it can be slightly chewy if prepared improperly)
- It is very popular in creating Hispanic dishes
What can I do with it?
- Skirt Steak can be GRILLED and sliced across the grain (muscle bundles) for Fajitas or as a main meat course
- Skirt Steak can be sliced prior to cooking and used in stir fry or pan fried for Fajitas or other dishes
- Skirt Steak is great marinated or done with a dry/wet rub
Why should I cook it?
- Because it is fun and gives a twist on Lunch or Supper
- Because it will easily impress a group of friends or family
- Because it is quick, easy, and good for you
- Great source of protein, potassium, iron, and other minerals and vitamins
Easy, Fun, Tasty – Recipe
Skirt Steak – Buy according to servings needed. (1/4 to 1/3 lb. per person)
- 1/4 cup salt
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon black pepper, coarsely ground
- 1 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
This rub is going to have some heat to it so if you don’t like “HOT” cut back on the cayenne pepper and put in ½ tsp. or a ¼ tsp. You don’t want to eliminate the spice because it will add flavor.
- Combine rub ingredients and coat both sides of your skirt steak with the rub.
- Bring the steak to room temperature before you grill.
- Grill the steak over a high heat (450˚F – 550˚F) for 5 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness.